I am currently on disability for depression and, although I irregularly read the E-mails I receive, I am extremely unlikely to respond to them. I'm sorry.
Do Write if you don't expect an answer from me. Suggestions for additions to, updates to, deletions from, and corrections to the information on my site are desired. "Hello!"s are always welcome. If you want to tell me your story or just blow off steam, feel free to write—I will endlessly compose responses to you in my head, but I can't promise they'll make it to my keyboard!
Don't Write if you do expect an answer from me. If you're seeking help, look at the "frequently asked questions" below for resources more useful than me. For school projects that require interactions with OCD sufferers, try one of the on-line forums (also see below).
Some frequently asked questions:
How can I learn more about OCD?
Browse the various OCD pages on my web site and click on the links that catch your eye:
- First of All - lists some useful introductory (and beyond) web sites.
- Articles, Books, and Papers - lists many articles and books of interest to the layperson.
- Bulletin Boards and Chat Rooms - for the more socially inclined. Talk to fellow sufferers, ask questions, give answers, and form lasting friendships (or enmities, as the case may be!). Yahoo's OCD-Support group (free registration) is very active and features several well-known OCD specialists who provide answers interlaced with humor.
- Doctors and Clinics - many of the practices have their own collections of introductory information on OCD.
- Organizations - lists major OCD organizations, foreign-language web sites, and support groups.
- Personal Pages - here you'll find links to the personal stories of people with OCD and of relatives and friends. Take heart - you are not alone!
Where can I find an OCD specialist in the XYZ area?
Search the Internation OCD Foundation's Treatment Provider Database for mental health professionals in your geographical area. The Foundation has a separate list of Intensive Treatment Programs. (While you're at it, consider becoming a member of IOCDF.)
My Doctors and Clinics page lists doctors I have found on the web; I can't vouch for them personally (although many are well-known in the OCD community) and there are, of course, many more OCD professionals who aren't (yet!) on the web.